Main Article Content
This study was performed on the Tigris River (Baghdad city section) during the period between December 2016 and December 2018 to assess seasonal variation in water quality using the Overall Index of Pollution (OIP). The OIP is one of the reliable tools for the assessment of surface water quality. To calculate OIP-values, eight parameters were measured ( pH, Dissolved Oxygen "DO", Biological Oxygen Demand "BOD", Total Dissolved Solid "TDS", Total Hardness "TH", calcium "Ca", Sulphate "SO4" and Alkalinity). The results showed the anthropogenic activities impact of Baghdad population that directly discharge of "inadequate treated" waste water to the river. OIP values were acceptable (1˃OIP˃ 1.7) in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2018. However, in 2014 and 2017,the OIP recorded values that were acceptable and tend to be slightly polluted (1.7˃OIP˃2.5). The impairment of water quality during 2014 and 2017 might be caused by the decrease in the water share feeding Tigris River from Turkey due to the construction of many dams. Also, markedly reduced rain precipitation rates were recorded in these periods. The study suggests conducting continuous monitoring programs and establishing a reliable Iraqi classification system for water quality by a specialized scientific panel.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- WHO. Guidelines for Drinking Water Quality. 4th ed., World Health Organization, Geneva. 2017. 226p.
- United Nations Environment Programme. A snapshot of the world’s water quality: towards a global assessment, United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP). Nairobi. 2016. 192p.
- Sargaonkar A, Deshpande V. Development of an Overall Index of Pollution for Surface Water Based on a General Classification Scheme in Indian Context.
- Kamboj V, Kamboj N, Sharma S. Environmental impact of riverbed mining-a review. Int J Sci Res. . 2017; 7(1), 504–520.
- Debels P, Figueroa R, Urrutia R, Barra R, Niell X. Evaluation of water quality in the Chillán River (Central Chile) using physicochemical parameters and a modified water quality index. J Environ Monit. 2005 Nov 1;110(1-3):301-22.
- Alobaidy AH, Maulood BK, Kadhem AJ. Evaluating raw and treated water quality of Tigris River within Baghdad by index analysis. JWARP. 2010 Jul 1;2(7):629.
- May G K, Lamyaa M D. Fatin Fuad, Quality Assurance for Iraqi Bottled Water Specifications. J. Engin.. 2015; 21(10):114-132.
- Shukla K A, Ojha CSP, Garg RD. Application of Overall Index of Pollution (OIP) for the Assessment of the Surface Water Quality in the Upper Ganga River Basin, India. Water Science and Technology Library. 2017; 75: 8-12.
- APHA A. WEF: Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater. 22 edn: American Public Health Association (APHA). American Water Works Association (AWWA) & Water Environment Federation (WEF). 2012.
- Naubi I, Zardari NH, Shirazi SM, Ibrahim NFB, Baloo L. Effectiveness of water quality index for monitoring Malaysian river water quality. Pol. J. Environ. Stud. 2016; 25(1):231–39.
- Prasad B, Bose JM. Evaluation of the heavy metal pollution index for surface and spring water near a limestone mining area of the lower Himalayas. J. Env. Geol.2001; 41:183.
- Nihal S H, Yahya AS, Luay AA. Water quality assessment of Rawanduz River and Gali Ali Beg stream by applied CCME WQI with survey aquatic insects (Ephemeroptera). ijs. 2019; 60(12): 2550-2560.
- Mitra P, Pal DP, Das M. Does quality of drinking water matter in kidney stone disease: A study in West Bengal, India?. Invest. and Clinic. Urolo. 2018; 59(3):158–165.
- Moyel M. S. Hussain, NA. Water quality assessment of the Shatt al-Arab River, Southern Iraq. Journal of Coastal Life Medicine. 2015; 3(6): 459-465.
- Dawood AS, Akesh AA, Khudier AS, Abualhail S. Study of Surface Water Quality and Trends Assessment at Shatt Al-Arab River in Basra Province. J. Univ. of Karbala. 2018; 16(1): 215-231.
- Sunil C. Somashekar R K. Nagaraja BC. Riparian vegetation assessment of Cauvery River basin of South India. Environ. Monitor. And Assess. 2009; 170(1- 4):545-53.
- Yadav NS. Kumar A. Mishra S. Singhal S. Assessment of water quality using Pollution-Index in the study stretch of river Chambal. India. Integrated Res. Advan. 2018; 5(1), 20-25.
- Rabee A. Application of Overall Index of Pollution (OIP) for the evaluation of the water quality in Al-Gharraf River southern of Iraq. Iraqi J. of Sci. 2018; 59(2A): 660-69.
- Ministry Of Transportation. Iraqi Metrological Organization and Seismology. Tigris River water. www.meteoseism.gov.iq ; access in March. 30, 2020.
- Al-Ani RR, Al-Obaidy AMJ, Hassan F M. Multivariate analysis for evaluation the water quality of Tigris River within Baghdad city in Iraq. Iraq J. of Agric. Sci. 2019; 50(1): 332- 41.